August is the hottest month of the year and it is important to adopt certain simple measures to prevent dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration can include thirst, weakness, vomiting, headaches, irritability, dizziness and general unease with a reduction in performance.
The following simple steps are recommended to avoid dehydration:
1. Drink fluids even when not thirsty.
2. Always take a bottle of water with you particularly if you intend to do any strenuous exercise.
3. High levels of humidity, quite common when the Easterly wind is blowing, prevents sweat from evaporating and even more liquid is required to compensate.
4. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
5. Overly sweet and sugary liquids should similarly be avoided.